Downriver Community Federal Credit Union was organized on January 29, 1942 by a select group of employees from the Great Lakes Steel Corporation. Providing a truly safe place to save money was a fundamental reason for establishing this Credit Union almost 78 years ago. Back then, members could only save small amounts at a time, and were not encouraged to do so by other financial institutions. The credit union's charter changed in 1943 to include all workers of Great Lakes Steel Corp. and members of their families. Our "office" was located in the Union Local until 1960 when we built our own building at 4320 W. Jefferson in Ecorse.
As we continued to grow, our name was changed on February 26, 1982, from Great Lakes Steelworkers Federal Credit Union to our current name of Downriver Community Federal Credit Union. This change reflected the change in our charter to include all those who live, work, worship, or go to school in the designated Downriver cities.
1942 - Opened our doors in the Union Local as Great Lakes Steelworkers Federal Credit Union.
1943 - With $3,400 in assets and 130 members, we changed our charter to include all workers of Great Lakes Steel Corporation and members of their families.
1960 - Built our main office at 4320 W. Jefferson Ave., in Ecorse, Michigan.
1982 - Changed our name from Great Lakes Steelworkers Federal Credit Union to Downriver Community Federal Credit Union.
2003 - Woodhaven Office built at 18707 West Rd.
2004 - Merger with Detroit Marathon Employees Federal Credit Union.
2004 - Lincoln Park Office moved to its current location at 1262 Dix Highway.
2008 - Merger with Wyandotte Community Federal Credit Union with office located at 4500 Biddle.
2015 - $142 Million in assets and over 16,000 members.
If you'd like to learn more about how Downriver CU is involved in our local community, please visit our Community Involvement page.Go to main navigation